In May 2008, I had the greatest blessing to return to Laos again! After my December trip in Laos, I had really felt inspired to do something special the next time I was in Laos. I went back with my sister Noi, best friend Martha, and my sister Noe's friends Jit and Da spontaneously went on the trip with us. It was a very meaningful and special trip for me and the girls as we wanted it to be a trip about how we can better serve and understand the plight of our Laotian brothers and sisters, particularly the children.
The trip was eventful and memorable filled with the spirit of love and giving to those less fortunate than us. We traveled by van from the tip of southern Laos to northern Laos, and it was quite an adventure every where we went. In Pakse Laos, we visited the orphanage to give the children basic toiletry necessities such as toothbrush, toothpaste, comb/brush. It was enduring to see how grateful and responsible the children were to be living there. It showed in their nicely kept little homes and beautifully maintained yards that they themselves take turns weeding.
After the very rewarding visit at the orphanage, we drove to my parents village of Paktapan in the province of Salavan. There we were greeted by the most warm and hospitable staff at the only elementary and secondary schools in the village. We brought with us a few suitcases full of much needed and to these children, even luxurious school supplies like pens, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, colored pencils, crayons, and notebooks. I did not realize that the village also had a secondary school and had only brought enough supplies for the elementary school. Back at home I still had so much school supplies (but my suitcases wouldn't fit them all) thanks in large to my sweet sister-in-law Callie who had a church fundraising event and we were able to collect much necessary school supplies.
No comments:
Post a Comment